About Me

header banner

Useful French Phrases to Survive in France


Let’s Learn and Talk in French Together!

Three french women laughing in a group

Important French Phrases/Words to Know

You must, at the beginning, know more about french words and expressions to start speaking right away. Thanks to our article we've provided you with some common French phrases to make your life easier while on exchange to France, and to help you become more comfortable as a native speaker!

To Greet Someone: 

  • Bonjour! - Hello!
  • Bonsoir! - Good evening!
  • Salut! / Coucou! - Hi!/Hello!
  • Enchanté(e)! / Ravie de faire ta/votre connaissance! - Nice to meet you!
  • Ravie de te voir - Glad to see you! 


Saying Goodbye to Someone:

  • Au revoir - Goodbye
  • Bonne journée - Have a good day 
  • Bonne soirée - Have a good evening
  • A bientôt / A tout à l’heure - See you soon
  • A demain - See you tomorrow
  • Salut! - Bye!
  • Ciao! - Bye! 
  • Good night! - Bonne nuit!


Basic Words:

  • Oui- Yes
  • Non - Non 
  • Peut-être - Maybe 
  • D’accord - Okay 
  • Il n’y a pas de soucis - No problem 
  • Jamais - Never 
  • Parfois - Sometimes 


Phrases for Being Polite:

  • Merci - Thank you 
  • Merci beaucoup - Thank you so much 
  • De rien - You’re welcome 
  • Il n’y a pas de quoi -
  • Ce n’est rien - That’s nothing! Don’t worry 
  • Excuse-moi - Excuse-me, sorry 
  • Je suis désolé(e) - I’m sorry 
  • Je suis vraiment désolé(e) - I’m so/really sorry 
  • S’il vous plaît - Please

3 people walking down the streets of france

Some Questions to Ask and some Responses:

Below are more complex phrases to put into a conversation when you are talking with your friends or other classmates.
  • Comment t’appelles-tu? - What is your name? 
  • Je m’appelle X / Je suis X - My name is X / I’m X
  • Quel âge as-tu? - How old are you? 
  • Comment ça va? - How are you doing? 
  • Alors la forme? How’s it going? 
  • Comment vas-tu? / Comment allez-vous? - How are you? 
  • Et toi tu vas bien? - And are you doing well? 
  • Et toi? - And you?
  • Oui je vais bien, merci. - Yes I’m fine/I’m well, thank you?
  • Tu fais quoi dans la vie? - What are you doing in your life?
  • Quel est ton/votre métier? - What is you job?
  • Ta famille va bien? How is doing your family?
  • Tu fais quoi aujourd’hui? - What are you doing today?
  • Tu as quelque chose de prévu aujourd’hui? - Do you have any plans today?
  • Oui je veux aller visiter cette ville! - Yes I would like to visit this city!
  • Tu veux venir avec moi? - Would do you like to come with me? 
  • Tu veux aller manger quelque chose? - Do you want to eat something? 
  • Je suis partante / Allez - I’m in / Let’s go! 
  • Tu viens d’où? - Where do you come from? / Where are you from? 
  • Quel heure est-il? - What time is it? 
  • Combien ça coûte? / Quel est le prix? - How much does it cost?
  • Ou sont les toilettes? - Where are the toilet? 
  • Quelle heure est est-il? - What time is it?
  • Vous voulez-prendre un café? - Would you like to get a coffee? 

If you Need Help and you are Lost:

  • Excusez-moi, pouvez-vous m’indiquer la direction pour aller ici s’il-vous plaît? - Excuse me, do you know how can I go here please? / Can you show me the right way to go there please?
  • Je suis perdu - I am lost
  • Je ne parle pas français - I don’t speak French at all
  • Je ne parle pas très bien français - I don’t speak French really well
  • Je n’ai pas compris - I did not understand
  • Pouvez-vous répéter s’il vous plaît ? - Can you repeat please? 
  • Pouvez-vous m’aider? - May you help me? 
  • Qu’est ce que ça veut dire? - What does that mean? 
  • Parlez-vous anglais? Do you speak English?

A group of 4 people laughing and talking

Phrases for Special Occasions:

Don’t you know that the French love to party? Well, I’m sure you will be glad to participate in all the special occasions. To feel the part, you must know the following phrases :
  • Bienvenue! - Welcome!
  • Bon appétit! - Enjoy your meal!
  • Félicitations! - Congratulations!
  • Joyeux anniversaire! - Happy birthday 
  • Je te souhaite un joyeux anniversaire! - I wish you a happy birthday! 
  • Joyeux Noel - Merry Christmas
  • Bonne année! - Happy New Year 
  • Santé!/ A la vôtre - Cheers!
  • Allons-y / C’est parti! - Let’s go!

Some Fun French Resources

Do you enjoy discovering new things and laughing? You’ve heard about hilarious French expressions and you want to learn them? Of course, we have selected for you 15 funny phrases that will take you one step closer to being a French native speaker.


Now it’s time for you to practise, but first, let us share a video from some Americans trying to become more French by using “les mots bouches-trous” that all French persons are using. Hopefully you'll find it both entertaining and informative.




Do not hesitate to let us know your level in French, if it is improving, and other ways we can help!



At Le French Baroudeur we provide quality content for our readers that is Honest, Informative, and Entertaining. We aim to provide the best travel tips and travel guides for people looking to discover, explore, and live in France. Whether you are a university exchange student studying abroad or just someone looking to visit France, we are the blog for you. Our team of travel bloggers is dedicated to giving you the best information and tips based on our personal experiences and insights from others!







Post a Comment

5 Comments

  1. Excellent read, Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?
    I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style.
    Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.
    student accommodation sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's very useful blog for the students. And specifically for the student who is now going to explore the student accommodation for themselves as per their budget and specifically where they would find a good service.
    Keep up the good work!

    Unite Students Pacific Court

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I am a content writer and blogger. I write content for various events such as National Day International Day And Festival Day. If you want to make my contacts, please visit:https://dailyevent24.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Thomas Yi from the United States. I started playing lottery games 3 years ago and I have never won big. I went online to seek help on how I can win big in my lottery games and I saw some nice reviews about Dr Amber who has made different people huge winners in their lottery games with his prayers. I gave it a try and I contacted Dr Amber who told me how and what to do before I can become a big lotto winner and I accepted. He made special prayers for me at his temple and gave me the required numbers to play the lotto game and when I played it, I won a massive $235.4 million POWERBALL jackpot. I was so happy and I chose to receive my winnings in a one-time, lump-sum payment of $160,038,447.27 at Florida Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee and the balance was given to the store that I bought & played the game from. I would love other people to seek help from him and he can be contacted through WhatsApp/call/text via this number +1 (406) 646-2222 or email on: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started playing lottery games 3 years ago and I have never won big sums. I went online to seek help on how I can win big in my lottery games and I saw some nice reviews about Dr Amber who has made different people huge winners in their lottery games with his prayers. I gave it a try and I contacted Dr Amber who told me how and what to do before I can become a big lottery winner and I accepted. He made special prayers for me at his temple and gave me the required numbers to play the lottery game and when I played it, I won a massive $235.4 million POWERBALL jackpot. I was so happy and I chose to receive my winnings in a one-time, lump-sum payment of $160,038,447.27 at Florida Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee and the balance was given to the store that I bought & played the game from. I would love other people to seek help from him and he can be contacted through +1 (808) 481-5132 via call/text or email: amberlotterytemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete